As Director of HDR’s Canada East health practice and as a leader in design for sub-acute care ranging from Hospice, Health Hubs and long-term care to complex continuing care, rehabilitation and transitional care, Barbara is internationally recognized for her design approach for empowering sub-acute environments, deftly balancing design that embraces care and treatment with the need for mobility as medication. With almost 15 years of P3 experience in PDC and Project roles, she also brings a unique balance of visionary/strategic thinking, with sound knowledge of architectural principles, practices, building science and systems for a diverse and integrated range of healthcare acuities. She provides guidance and insight into the unique needs of sub-acute care through her award-winning work, including CAMH, the Lutherwood Mental Health Centre, Sunnybrook’s Hurvitz Brain Sciences Centre, Hillsborough Hospital and Transitional Housing Pavilion and Hill House Hospice. Her contributions have been recognized through global speaking engagements and articles in the recently published book “Innovations in Behavioral Health Architecture” by Stephen Verderber and in Code Plus, 2nd Ed; Physical Design Components of an Elder-Friendly Hospital.
- Company:HDR Architecture Limited
- Short Bio:Associate Vice President, Director of Health: Canada East
- May 8, 2023, 13:00 Protected: Optimizing Healing Environments for Vulnerable & Underserved Patients
- May 8, 2023, 11:30 Protected: Optimizing Healing Environments for Vulnerable & Underserved Patients
November 28, 2017, 11:30
Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Design & Clinical Practice for Improved Outcomes in the Older PopulationPrivate: Transforming Healthcare Environments, Women’s College Hospital, Toronto
- October 27, 2017, 08:45 Private: Innovations for Better Care, Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary